The LED technology installed at the CN Tower is designed to achieve excellent performance standards and with its intended use is expected to last in excess of 10 years, requiring minimal fixture replacement and maintenance. Unlike conventional lighting systems, the new system will not require frequent replacement and disposal of light bulbs. LEDs radiate little to no heat, they do not emit ultraviolet (UV) radiation or (IR) infrared which makes them ideal for illuminating areas at the Tower without degration such as the radome and other sensitive areas.
Each night beginning at sunset the CN Tower will feature a standard lighting program in red and white, to honour Canada, with a short light show at the top of each hour.
An annual lighting schedule will honour national holidays, seasons, certain major City and national events, in one of 2 ways:
Effect at the top of each hour to commemorate the occasion being honoured; or dedicated colour theme for the entire building.
Special Lighting Requests
The CN Tower presents a unique opportunity for special themed lighting of Canada’s National Tower through its programmable LED architectural lighting. Since it was launched in 2007, the CN Tower programmable architectural lighting has helped to raise awareness for hundreds of charities and special causes.
Lighting begins at sunset and concludes at sunrise the next morning except during spring and fall bird migration periods during which time lighting concludes at 11pm.
In addition to lighting for annual holidays and citywide events, the CN Tower will also consider lighting requests for:
• nondenominational, nonpolitical registered national charitable events or causes
Please note that lighting cannot be considered for:
• commercial requests (e.g. product launches, corporate events)
• personal occasions (e.g. birthdays, anniversaries)
• religious or political events or observances
• institutions or professions (e.g. hospitals, schools)
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, all requests must be:
• received in writing by full completion of the CN Tower lighting request form
• completed and signed by a management representative of the official organization making the request
• received by the CN Tower at least 30 days in advance of lighting date requested
Special themed lighting is at the sole discretion of CN Tower management and not subject to appeals or negotiation. All requests will be evaluated based on meeting the above mentioned guidelines as well as:
• the nature of the cause
• history and background of the organization, cause or event
• how the lighting will be used to benefit the cause/event
• how the CN Tower’s iconic image will be related to the event
Applicants will receive a written response stating whether or not it has been approved.
Due to the high volume of applications, all requests cannot be accommodated.
The CN Tower wishes to stress that if an application is declined, this is not a reflection of the merits or importance of any requests.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS APPROVED
If you plan to acknowledge the lighting in communications materials, please provide samples for review and approval no later than 14 days prior to the lighting. Failure to do so may result in our inability to grant the request. We suggest creating a standard line / statement about the lighting that can be included in materials. e.g. On (insert date) CN Tower lights (insert colour) for XXX Awareness Day.
• Groups who wish to photograph or gather to watch the lighting please note that the Tower will be lit at sunset however this will only become visible as the sky darkens which occurs approximately 30 minutes after sunset.
• When publicizing the lighting to the media please include a reminder that, as it does every night, a standard light show will run for 8 minutes at the top of every hour.
Please complete the following form and fax to the CN Tower at 416-601-4753 or email to email@example.com.
• Lighting request form